News from Garfield Farm
What: Volunteers needed for Archaeological Excavations When June 8-12 & June 15-19, 8am - 5pm
Who: Garfield Farm Museum
Where: for GPS only: 3N016 Garfield Road Campton Hills, IL 60175 Contact: 630 584-8485 or email@example.com
Registrations are now being taken for individuals who wish to help with an archaeological excavation beginning June 8 at Garfield Farm Museum. Both novice and experienced volunteers are needed to help excavate, screen, wash and catalogue artifacts in the vicinity of the original log house built in 1836 by the Culbertson family and later expanded in 1841 by the Garfield family.
To help accurately interpret, restore and re-create the 1840s conditions of the Timothy and Harriet Garfield's farmstead and tavern, the museum started up a 5 year archaeology program last year. Now in its second year, the program will continue with a two week excavation in June and a second two week excavation in late September/early October. Last year over 1360 volunteer hours were given.
The research will be headed by James R. Yingst, Director and Chief Archaeologist of Heartland Archaeology Research Program of Chicago, Illinois and is coordinated by Helen Bauer, an experienced amateur archaeologist and board member of Garfield Farm Museum's Campton Historic Agricultural Lands. Yingst has experience in Illinois and Wisconsin 19th century sites and ceramics of the period. Bauer has participated in excavations in Asia, Europe, Central America as well as President James Madison's home, Montpelier and Illinois‚ Cahokia Mounds and Kampsville sites.
Volunteers must commit to a set schedule to participate. June's work will be from June 8 - 12 and 15 -19. September's two week session will begin September 21. They will be working alongside college and graduate school archaeology students. Volunteers 14 - 17 years of age may participate with parent permission. Younger students accompanied by a parent or guardian may also participate.
Ultimately, a replica of the original log house that the Garfield family enlarged and made into an inn or tavern will be built. The research will help in this effort and will provide better clues as to how the Culbertson and Garfield families lived.
The Culbertson log house/Garfield log tavern stood in the fork of the Chicago St.Charles Road that branched northwest to Sycamore and southwest to Oregon, IL. Culbertson originally claimed 440 acres of land that he improved with the house, a dug well, and had 30 acres in cultivation when he sold the claim to Timothy Garfield in 1841 for $650. Farmers hauling wheat to Chicago's port caught the Garfield's attention and they expanded the log house as an inn or tavern. The structure occupied a 20 by 50 foot area with a cellar that was discovered in the 2006 archaeology investigation. The house consisted of two sections and a kitchen to the west. Three first floor rooms included the barroom and two chambers were on the second floor. The log house had slab siding with a roof of shakes bound down by poles according to the Timothy Garfield biography.
The historic integrity of the site and its
documentation call for a thorough archaeological study to confirm and
add to understanding the first settlement and development of farms in
northern Illinois. To register, see the dig, or to financially
contribute to the effort, contact the museum at 630 584-8485, e-mail
firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Box 403 LaFox, IL 60147.